You sometimes need a work permit in order to be able to work in the Netherlands. Your employer must apply for this permit for you. These rules only apply if you come from outside the European Union.

If you want to work in the Netherlands for more than 90 days, your employer must also apply for a residence permit. Your employer will then apply for a combined residence and work permit. In principle you must meet the following conditions:

  • The employer must first try to find a suitable candidate in the Netherlands
  • The employer must notify your vacancy to the UWV (Employees Insurance Agency)

Only if your employer is unable to find a suitable candidate in this way will you qualify for a residence and work permit. Different rules or exceptions apply to some employees, such as interns and employees with a specific role.

You do not need a work permit for other residence purposes, such as family or asylum. You may then work in the Netherlands on the basis of your residence permit alone.

If you would like to find out whether you are allowed to live and work in the Netherlands, e-mail or call our attorneys for a telephone consultation without obligation.

Do you have a question?

Read in our privacy statement how we handle your personal data.