You can obtain a residence permit in the Netherlands for a ‘search year’ straight after graduating. This residence permit allows you to spend a year in the Netherlands working or looking for work. This can also be done if you have completed a doctorate or carried out scientific research, or have graduated in a country other than the Netherlands.

During the search year you can look for work. For example, you can seek a job as a knowledge migrant, start your own business or establish a start-up. You do not need to have a work permit during the search year.

Specific conditions apply in order to be able to work as a knowledge migrant. Your employer must be approved as a sponsor by the Immigration & Naturalisation Service (Immigratie- en Naturalisatiedienst, or ‘IND’). You can check here whether the employer to whom you are applying is an approved sponsor. Your employer must also pay you a market rate salary. The level of the salary that the employer must pay depends on your age and your situation.

If you would like to find out whether you qualify for a residence permit for a search year, e-mail or call our attorneys for a telephone consultation without obligation.

Do you have a question?

Read in our privacy statement how we handle your personal data.

Prakken d'Oliveira, formerly known as Böhler, is a law firm with expertise and experience in asylum and immigration law, European law, administrative law, international criminal law and human rights. Our lawyers provide advice and conduct procedures before the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND), the Dutch Review Committee on the Intelligence and Security Services (CTIVD), the District- and Appeals courts, the Administrative Law Division of the Dutch Council of State, the Supreme Court of the Netherlands, the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR), the Court of Justice of the European Union (ECJ), the Human Rights Treaty Bodies of the United Nations (UN), the International Criminal Court (ICC), and other international tribunals.